Thursday, February 28, 2008

Some warmth for a cold morning

Gotham is cold and windy today, and with a day of grunt work ahead I have three sources of salvation for my bored brain:

Brownbird Rudy Relic www.myspace.com/brownbirdrudyrelic I had the pleasure of seeing Brownbird for the first time last night and was not disappointed. He's a one man hollerin' blues performance piece, playing archtop guitar and kazoo while acting as his own percussionist with taps on the bottoms of his dayglo green shoes. Upon first sight he is a compact person with slick hair but the stage transforms him into a raucous presence with a giant mouth. I don't think his music has the same impact in the crude recordings posted on his myspace page, but if you get the opportunity to see him in person, it's worth the trip.

Mark Ronson, Version www.myspace.com/markronson I missed the boat on Version when it came out, but I really enjoy this album of covers from the UK producer probably best known for his work with Amy Winehouse on Black on Black. Perhaps my favorite track is the version of Radiohead's "Just" but I'm still working my way through the album. It deserves a listen!

Yeasayer www.myspace.com/yeasayer I have a hard time describing this Brooklyn based band, but I got their album a few weeks ago and have listened to it a lot since then, somewhat unconsciously. Sometimes when I get new music I force myself to listen to it over and over again right away but with All Hour Cymbals I've been drawn to put it on without thinking. I believe they describe themselves as "Middle Eastern-psych-snap-gospel," but I have no idea what that means; what I hear is a lot of layering of vocal harmonies and unexpected sounds (phones ringing, kids yelling, etc) and I like it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Livros e Revistas, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://livros-e-revistas.blogspot.com. A hug.