Thursday, December 27, 2007

Once

I watched a movie last night called Once, which I really loved. It's a folk-rock musical which came out this year and stars Glen Hansard (the frontman of the Irish band The Frames) and Marketa Irglova a czech pianist. Neither of these two had ever acted before, and I found the performances to be completely believable and captivating. But I think the real story is the music.
It's not the typical musical where the songs move the story forward, rather it's a musical about two musicians coming together and writing love songs to each other and other people. The songs that punctuate the action of the movie are used more to set the emotional tone, and they are some of the most heartfelt songs I've heard in a while. Glen Hansard (who i'd never heard of but who I will be looking into) has a singing and songwriting style very much like Damien Rice, and his songs are just as bombastic.
The two of them have been touring together singing the songs from the movie under the name The Swell Season. You can download or stream a beautiful live concert by them free here http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12100950.
Hope you enjoy as much as I do

No comments: