Saturday, December 8, 2007

Sissyneck's Top Ten Albums of 2007

As I was contemplating this list, I decided this was actually kind of a disappointing year for music. I enjoyed each album on this list immensely, but none would break into my top ten albums of all time. In fact, only one of these is the best album by a band who I've heard other music from (Okkervil River). That said, there are some amazing moments here. The first three tracks from kings of leon are possibly the best start to an album ever. Antichrist Television Blues from the Arcade Fire is a Bruce Springsteen song as good as any song Bruce Springsteen ever wrote. Tim Fite's Over the Counterculture is an astonishing indictment of consumerism, the record industry, violence, addiction, and the bush administration. He manages to connect the dots of each of these seemingly disparate things and then backs it up by offering the entire album free on his website. get it here http://www.timfite.com/songs.html.
Oh, and there's Radiohead. I'll write more about that later.


10. The White Stripes - Icky Thump
9. Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
8. Dana Falconberry - Paper Sailboat
7. Rilo Kiley - Under the Blacklight
6. Tim Fite - Over the Counterculture
5. Kings of Leon - Because of the Times
4. Okkervil River - The Stage Names
3. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
2. Bright Eyes - Cassadega
1. Radiohead - In Rainbows


I've disqualified live albums, soundtracks and other compilations from this list, or the Soundtrack to I'm Not There would probably be on there. But I was thinking - for my purposes, what does it matter what albums were released in 2007. There are a lot of great albums that I heard for the first time this year that didn't come out this year, and isn't this supposed to be about what music I was loving this year? Yes it is.
So This is Sissyneck's revised top ten list for 2007:


10. Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood
9. My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves
8. Kings of Leon - Because of the Times
7. Okkervil River - The Stage Names
6. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
5. Regina Spektor - Begin to Hope
4. Bright Eyes - Cassadega
3. Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous
2. Cat Power - The Greatest
1. Radiohead - In Rainbows

5 comments:

Patrick said...

I don't think you can say it was a disappointing year solely on that it didn't produce any Top 10 albums of all time.

My top albums list goes back to the 1960's, which is 40+ years of music. If you look at it that way, you should only expect an album to crack the top 10 every 4-5 years.

If you expect a top 10 album every year, then you'll just be disappointed a lot.

Patrick said...

I also need to listening to the new Radiohead. I got it before I went on vacation, but I forgot to put it on my iPod.

I need to sit and analyze my list a bit, but some names floating to the top of my 2007 collection: Feist, Avett Brothers, Jens Lekman, Sharon Jones, Bright Eyes.

I also have a few 2007 albums that remain unlistened, because they are gifts for other people (which I'll eventually get to hear).

Sissyneck said...

i guess i should say that more than there not being any albums that break into the top ten of all time is the fact that i had high expectations for some albums that they didn't really deliver on.
neon bible isn't as good as funeral. sky blue sky isn't as good as yankee hotel foxtrot, ghost is born, summerteeth, being there, am, or the mermaid ave. discs. icky thump isn't as good as elephant. because of the times isn't as good as youth and young manhood. under the blacklight isn't as good as more adventurous. cassadega isn't as good as i'm wide awake it's morning. finally, in rainbows is great, but not as great as ok computer, the bends, kid a. weird to say, but my favorites who put out records this year just didn't quite cut it as much as i enjoyed their records.

Sissyneck said...

oh - and the REM live album was awful! awful!

LM said...

I think this list is pretty telling of where your musical tastes lie at the moment... I agree with your A isn't as good as B or C isn't as good as D comment. However I think that Spoon or LCD or MIA or Tim Fite maybe should have made your list.